Over the past four weeks, the number of deaths from the COVID-19 virus has increased by 35%.
“Report” reports with reference to TASS that the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus informed about this at a briefing held in Geneva.
“The number of deaths from COVID-19 in the world has increased by 35%. 15,000 people died in the last week alone. This is absolutely unacceptable, because we have the means to prevent the spread of infection and save people’s lives,” said the head of the WHO.
According to him, as cold weather approaches in the Northern Hemisphere and people will spend more time indoors, the risk of more intensive spread of infection and hospitalization will only increase in the coming months.
Gebreyesus said that this applies not only to COVID-19, but also to other diseases, including the flu: “We are all tired of this virus, the pandemic, but the virus does not give up on us.”
The head of the WHO emphasized that more than 90 percent of the COVID-19 pathogens identified during laboratory tests now belong to the BA.5 subtype of the omicron strain.
Ghebreyesus noted that countries began to share less information on the results of the sequence: “Compared to the beginning of the year, the number of such information exchanges registered weekly has decreased by 90%, and the number of states providing information has decreased by 75%.”
As of August 16, WHO has received information on 588,757,628 cases of coronavirus infection and 6,433,794 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.